Monday, September 12, 2022

Films To Die For: The Hamiltons (2006) - 9/12/22

 

    Hello everyone. Thank you if you've been checking back to look at the reviews. If you have and think others would like, please help spread the word. I love being able to share my thoughts on films. Fingers crossed that maybe down the road at some point, this can become something sustainable. 

    Today, let's take a trip back to 2006. It was a much simpler time. Horror was undergoing a change. We had seen quite a few remakes alongside Saw and Hostel leading the new wave. When I think back to the mid-2000s, I also remember the indie horrors that were beginning to find their footing. We hadn't seen a lot of indie horrors breaking ground. But it feels like the After Dark: 8 Films To Die For were able to help push indie horror a little bit. 

    For those that don't remember, the 8 Films To Die For was a festival of sorts. They chose low budget horror films to highlight and unleash them upon the world. Some of these worked really well. Some of them were a bit eh. And then there's probably some that were just downright bad. This was something that was never forgotten. And when I found a box set of that initial lineup at a nearby pawn shop, I snatched it up. I had seen maybe one or two of them before. But now, it feels like a good time to look back at them with this series. 

    Every once in a while, we will focus on one of the 8 Films To Die For. If this manages to do well, maybe there'll be a Season 2 with the next lineup. 

    One of the films that caught my interest when I watched my first film in this series, The Gravedancers, was The Hamiltons. It seemed like it was a step outside the norm. That was one of the things I greatly appreciate about each film, they all are their own unique story. And The Hamiltons stood out. 

    The story of Hamiltons is as follows: Four siblings, who harbor some dark secrets, try to fend for themselves after the mysterious death of their parents.

    While it's a simple story, the thing that managed to work so well for me is that it's about family. Each of the characters work so well together to be a believable family unit. Francis (Cory Knauf) is our main look into the family. He doesn't fit in at school or at home. Truly, an odd man out amongst his family. One of the interesting things is seeing him try to figure out who he is. David (Samuel Child) is the head of the family - big brother. He's doing his best to take care of his family. He tries to craft a picture perfect image of what the family is. Sometimes I wonder if it was for his own sanity, or maybe he doesn't have any. Darlene (Mackenzie Firgens) tries to play things a bit looser than David. She understands what the family is and embraces it. Then, we have Wendell (Joseph McKelheer) - an absolute loose cannon. One minute he could be your friend, the next want to put you in the ground. 

    At first, I didn't know where the story was going to go. I knew that there was something going on with the family. But I absolutely did not expect it to lead to -------- SPOILERS: vampires. It definitely leads to a very unique take on vampire mythos. These aren't your typical movie monsters. They don't hide from the sunlight, but thrive in it. It helps it stand out amongst other vampire films. Especially as it treats it more of a genetic deficiency or abnormality. 

    And one of the things I will applaud is the cast. This is a group of actors and actresses that are able to do extremely well with the material. I wish there had been more time with David. For the most part, we spend the most time with Francis, Darlene and Wendell. I honestly wonder what it could have been if they had been given a larger budget. I understand that there is a sequel, The Thompsons. Safe to say, I'll be checking that one out too. So stay tuned. 

    Overall, the 8 Films To Die For was a fantastic experiment. It did push the boundaries and establish a solid marketing plan for Direct to Video films. The Hamiltons is one that I found to be very unique amongst the first lineup. It has a very strong voice and identity. It knows exactly what it's trying to be while successfully establishing a mythos. It's one that I can definitely see myself return to as well. 


Rating: 4 out of 5. 


Follow BlazinBlue's Review on FacebookInstagram and Twitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to My Nightmare: A Review of Dylan's New Nightmare

Hello all, it feels so good to be able to bring you a new review. A lot of things have happened during the hiatus. The biggest t...