Saturday, October 16, 2021

Inside 'Slumber Party Massacre '21': A Chat with Danishka Esterhazy Part 1

Here we are on the eve of Shout! Studios and SYFY's SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE! I am super excited for tonight's premiere. Earlier this week, I had the chance to talk with the director Danishka Esterhazy about the film. 
How were you introduced to the horror genre?

My mother loved scary movies and ghost stories so I was introduced to horror at an early age.

What is your favorite horror movie?

I love so many horror movies. For classic picks – The Shining. For modern picks – It Follows.

What do you think it is about horror that makes it seemingly everlasting? 

I think we all need the catharsis that horror offers.

 When I was doing researched, I noticed that you had directed The Banana Splits Movie from a few years back. 

I did indeed!

What was it that drew you to that project?

I’ve always loved animatronics. So, the idea of killer mascot robots really appealed to me. It reminded me of the original Westworld – which I love.

How was it filming that compared to this film?

Lots of similarities! I shot both films in Cape Town with mostly the same crew. When you find a great crew, you want to work with them again and again.

How did you feel that film turned out? What was the audience response to it? 

Some people loved it! Some people did not. It’s a horror comedy with lots of gore. Which is something I really enjoy! But it is not everyone’s favorite genre.

In a way, you kinda paved the way for other films such as Willy's Wonderland. Definitely makes a great double feature. 

 I think they would make a fabulous double feature.

What is your experience with the original Slumber Party Massacre? If you've seen it, what did you think of it? 

I’ve watched the original many times. I love Amy Holden Jones’ direction. She is a master with actor blocking, pacing, intercuts. Her experience as a film editor really shows.

Many fans will undoubtedly compare this to that film. How would you like to set the story straight as to how this is different?

I hope fans will see my film as both a homage to the original film and a satire of 80s slasher tropes. 

How did you come to the project? 

I was invited to pitch this project to Shout Factory by SyFy executive Josh van Houdt. So, Josh and screenwriter Suzanne Keilly and myself came up with a vision for the remake and we pitched that vision to Shout – who owns all the Roger Corman film rights. Shout loved our plans for the remake! So, we started to collaborate, along with producers from Blue Ice Pictures, to make it happen.

What was it that just sold you on this take for this film? 

I wanted to embrace the fun and the gore of 80s slasher films. But update the sexual politics. 

The cinematography is pretty fantastic in the film. What was it like finding the right tones for that cinematography? 

All that praise belongs to cinematographer Trevor Calverley. Slumber Party is our third time shooting together. I love Trevor’s work. He (and his camera team) are just amazing. I can’t wait to shoot with them again!

How long was the shoot?

18 days.

What was it like shooting in South Africa?

Wonderful! The crews in Cape Town are world class. I love shooting in South Africa.

Do you think the cast fit their characters?

I think casting is all about finding an actor who fits the role but also leaving room for the role to absorb parts of the actor. The two parts should merge to create something unique that reflects the actor, the writer and the director. It’s a magical combination.

 There's a lot of subverting the expectations for this film. It's something that definitely helps create a unique approach for the story. Was that fun being able to surprise the audience?

Suzanne’s script is full of surprises. It was so much fun planning the twists, the misdirections, the surprises.

There is some gore in the film. Was there more that originally happened?

We did cut 1 or 2 death scenes because of time and budget. But everything we shot is in the film.

How has it been seeing all of the responses so far to Slumber Party Massacre? 

Wonderful! The festival premiere at Fantastic Fest was such a blast. And we won an Audience Choice Award from the Fantastic Fiends! I am really excited to see how the SyFy and Starz audiences react to the film.

Is there a chance that we may see a sequel? If the right story was found.

I’d love to do a sequel.

What's next for you?

I am working on a great new TV series for SyFy called Astrid and Lilly Save the World. It comes out early next year and it is hilarious!! 

Slumber Party Massacre airs Oct. 16th on SYFY at 9 PM PT/ET. 


Follow BlazinBlue's Horror Review on Facebook and Twitter.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to My Nightmare: A Review of Dylan's New Nightmare

Hello all, it feels so good to be able to bring you a new review. A lot of things have happened during the hiatus. The biggest t...