Monday, October 18, 2021

Evil Dies Tonight: Halloween Kills (Non-Spoiler)

Today is the day. It's the one that I have been waiting for so long. When I first watched Halloween (2018), I was a bit underwhelmed. It felt a bit off. It honestly did not feel like a full story. There were some aspects that did not necessarily feel right. And the ending felt more closer to a cliffhanger than anything else. Honestly looking back at it now, it's a type of film making that harkens back to those films from the 70s and 80s. It's something that we don't necessarily see anymore. It's probably because studios have a hard time wanting to take chances anymore. 

One thing that I have learned time and time again this year, expectations can influence one's experience with a film. I mean it's well known by this point that I watched The Exorcist for the first time. I have had years of expectations for it and it honestly made me miss out. If I would have went in with an open mind, I probably would have liked it a lot better. 

Back to the task on hand, Halloween (2018) is a film that once I got past the initial shock. I began to enjoy it more with each subsequent viewing. At this point, it's on the top half of my franchise ranking. It also allowed me begin to see what David Gordon Green and Danny McBride were trying to do. Again, it's very much the unexpected as it hones closer to the original film than anything we have had in quite awhile. Much older way of storytelling. And I was excited to see what they were going to do next. 

After three years and a pandemic, we finally have the next chapter - Halloween Kills. Wow. Just wow. 

Now, I know there are people that recommend going to see this in the theater. I completely understand why. For me, I was quick to sign up for Peacock. Well, not really quick - it literally took me an hour to get everything set up. But I'm guessing it was because the service may have been going a little crazy cause of the excitement for this film. 

Now, I spent a few times trying to write this review. So I'm going to try things a little different this time around. Do I recommend seeing this film? Hell yes! This is really an incredible film. It's honestly going to be divisive. But then again, it seems like the fanbase was a bit hit and miss when 2018 originally came out as well. 

The kills in this film are incredible. Every. single. one. of. them. I was left in such a stupor for a bit because this film is brutal. There were so many times where I was caught off guard and immediately I'd just be saying "Goddammit Michael".  

I really would love to dive into spoilers for this film. But I can't find myself saying Let's Go. This is a film where it is such an experience. 

I have seen some people have problems with some actors and such. For me, I didn't have a problem with any of them. I thought everybody brought their game. I loved Judy Greer's performance as Karen. She does such an amazing job. 

Anthony Michael Hall also does a great job as Tommy. Yeah, people are comparing him to Paul Rudd's version. But there is absolutely no way to compare them. They are two valid takes on the character. One has taken his fear of Michael and made it into his obsession - very much to Loomis levels. And Anthony Michael Hall's is just filled with so much rage. He is so angry at Michael. But I also think that he's just as angry at himself for allowing himself to be afraid. He's just as much screwed up as Laurie is. Honestly, something I would have been a bit more interested to know is did Laurie give Tommy some training like she did with Karen? And that's why he was quick to run after Michael cause he thought he was ready. 

The rest of the Haddonfield survivors were nice to see. They did a decent job. I honestly think that we will be seeing Lindsay returning for Halloween Ends. It'll be interesting to see where they take the story next. Because hot damn is there so much that can happen. 

Another fantastic part of this film is the flashback. It is so thrilling to be transported back to Halloween '78. The music. The look. The atmosphere. It's all spot on. And it works to really thrilling results. Especially when we end up seeing '78 Loomis. That just had me smiling so much. It's also extremely interesting as it was originally a scene that was to be featured first in Halloween 2018. Honestly, I am super glad that they waited to utilize it here. 

Now, a lot of people know my thoughts on Halloween II (1981). I was not a huge fan of it. I still am not. It just doesn't click with me. I don't know if it will. However the love that people have for that movie, well I can say I have that for Halloween Kills. This is my jam. It delivers on so much. I thought the film was very well paced. I didn't mind the hospital scenes. It gave a good look at what Haddonfield has become because of Michael. And hot damn what an ending.

Rating: 5 out of 5. Go check it out if you have a chance or catch it on Peacock. 

Follow BlazinBlue's Horror Review on Facebook and Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to My Nightmare: A Review of Dylan's New Nightmare

Hello all, it feels so good to be able to bring you a new review. A lot of things have happened during the hiatus. The biggest t...