Wednesday, July 28, 2021

If You Can't Run: CRAWL OR DIE (2014)

Hello everyone, today's review is  an interesting one. This blog has covered some indie films time and time again.

 It's actually something that have begun to start priding myself on. Cause it's a breath of fresh air from time to time to dip away from the mainstream.  Especially because indie films have a charm to them. It may be because they find whatever way possible to help tell the story.

And the other day, my partner had come home from working at our friends farm. They said "We have a movie to watch. I need you to track it down.". 

 I asked what the movie was. And they happily told me that it was called Crawl or Die. At first, I was stumped cause I have heard of some indie films but this was a whole new one for me.

And for me, it's a bit of a big deal to find a new horror indie. It feels like Christmas and getting to open a new present.

I was able to find it on Tubi. It's also available to purchase from Amazon.

Long story short, this begins my review.

 CRAWL OR DIE was released in 2014. It was written and directed by Oklahoma Ward and starring Nicole Alonso.

Synopsis: An elite security team assigned the task of protecting the last known woman who can become pregnant, find themselves caught in an endless claustrophobic underground tunnel system. The team soon learns - the real horror is not the unstoppable force chasing them, but the ever shrinking tunnel itself.

CRAWL OR DIE is what I would consider to be a small film. While some may consider that a knock and instantly detract from it, I view it as a strength.

 It allows the film to just give a small exposition then hit the ground running. If this had been a bit more of a mainstream film, I believe that someone would have suggested more time for exposition and time with characters. But the pace moving at such a speed, allows us to quickly get into our characters shoes. Here's this and this is how it's going - deal with it or just get out. That's how the film feels.

While there are a few characters, the big standout is Tank (played by Nicola Alonso). This is our heroine and she kicks ass.

 The unstoppable force is something in the vein of the Alien xenomorph. It's presence is felt throughout the film. And something that I highly appreciated was that it didn't focus on it too much. It did just enough to not overdo it.

Fun Fact: My partner did have some moments with the film where they were like "How is that possible? It's only this big.".

 I know, it may feel like this review is something that is going rather quickly. It's because I'm trying not to have any spoilers. Because this is a film that needs to be experienced. It is a bit of a rollercoaster.

Oklahoma Ward does a fantastic job directing. The shots that were filmed helped the tone and illustrate the real enemy of the film - the tunnel.

 After viewing the film, I began to look more into things and was happy to hear that there will be a sequel. It had recently had a successful Kickstarter to gather funds for production. Wherever the story goes next, I am all on board the Crawl or Die train.

Rating: 5 out of 5.


Follow BlazinBlue's Horror Review on Social Media

Facebook

Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to My Nightmare: A Review of Dylan's New Nightmare

Hello all, it feels so good to be able to bring you a new review. A lot of things have happened during the hiatus. The biggest t...