Wednesday, July 28, 2021

"Something Out There In Those Woods": Evil Dead turns 40


Okay, I found myself thinking about where to begin with this. The more I thought about it, the more I decided that I should share my story of how I was introduced to the wonderful world of Sam Raimi's horror opus. So let's begin shall we...

It was Christmas of 1999 or 2000. I can't exactly recall specifically when. I just know it was around that time. But my family and I had gone to my Grandma's for the holiday. 

It was around 5:30 in the morning. I was up already cause it was Christmas. Back then, it was easy for me to get excited about the holidays. (I didn't know that would be the last Christmas my family would be all together.)

So, we wake up my sister and parents. My Grandma was already awake and had started making pumpkin and pecan pies for the dinner later. So, the living room was full of that wonderful smell. 

We passed out the presents. Every one was ready to start opening. Back then, we would take our time doing this and going one person at a time. That morning, I had already started opening the presents. 

At that point, there were some of us that were ready to go back to sleep (my sister). So that tradition went out the window. 

I made it through the typical Christmas presents - couple of Goosebumps books, shirts, socks. I had my last three presents. Judging by the shape of them, it was easy to see that it was VHS tapes. I opened the first one and it was Robocop. Great film and one I had seen multiple times. The second one was John Carpenter's Halloween. I would no longer need to keep track of when AMC or Sci-Fi were replaying it. The last tape was one that I would never forget.

I peeled the wrapping paper off to uncover a man standing in front of a woman, protecting her from skeleton arms. See the above poster for a good example of that vhs cover for EVIL DEAD.

My Grandma asked me what the movie was. I turned and showed her the cover and immediately she just went "I don't remember getting you that.". My Uncle Scott chimed in, "You didn't. But I helped pick it out for him.". She just gave Scott a bit of a look. I thanked them for the movie and was a bit disappointed that had to wait till got home to watch it. 

Immediately the next day after we got home, My mom and sister asked to watch it with me. We began watching it and about ten minutes in - my sister decided to bow out. Her reasoning was that it was boring. Around the thirty six minute mark, my mom walked out of the living room. I was left alone in the dark of the living room as Cheryl continued to attack Linda's ankle with the pencil. 

It was during that time I realized that this was a different kind of film for me. I had never seen anything like it. It's a film that holds nothing back. It throws everything at you. And then it ends in a bleak manner. 

I sat there with my mouth open. What had I just watched? What was the story behind this? I had so many questions and was sure to see if the internet could answer them. 

In my research then, I learned that Evil Dead was made by Sam Raimi and starred Bruce Campbell. It was an indie film cinderella story almost. I couldn't believe that Bruce Campbell was the same guy that was in Hercules The Legendary Journeys and Xena Warrior Princess. Those were my first introduction to him as an actor. Here, Bruce is just starting out and goes through such a journey. It's incredible and gets better with each viewing. I had seen some of Sam Raimi's films. The most well known at that time was Darkman, which I adored. And then there was the icing on the cake was that they were from Michigan. I tend to have a lot of respect and enjoy a lot of things that end up being Michigan made. 

The story was very simplistic. Friends go to cabin in the woods. They discover a book, a dagger, and recording. Evil is unleashed. Survive till dawn. That's roughly the cliff notes version in a sense. 

But what made Evil Dead so much different was it's characters. Ash (Bruce Campbell), the naive everyman that goes through the ringer to become a hero. Scotty (Richard DeManincor) was the jokester or the jock. He never took things too seriously. He was quick to make people laugh or in Cheryl's case make them hate him. Cheryl (Ellen Sandweiss) is Ash's sister. She felt like she didn't belong there. That she was only there cause her brother was there. It's because of this small bit of doubt that Cheryl possessed that led to her being the first to encounter the Evil. Then there is Linda (Betsy Baker). Linda is Ash's girlfriend. She's there to be the love interest and help motivate Ash into stepping up. These are all of the characters that when one thinks of The Evil Dead, they spring to mind. Honestly, these are immediately who jumps to my mind. Unfortunately we still have Shelly (Theresa Tilly). This is Scott's girlfriend. This is the character that I felt suffered in the film the most. Because she isn't given a lot to do outside of Scotty or being possessed. It's very much a one note character. 

The gore in this film is fantastic. Yes, it's over the top. However, it doesn't reach the levels of over the topness that the sequel reached. This one its very much more grounded. Or it is used in a more cerebral ways (Ash's second trip down to the basement). The biggest standout in terms of the effects in the first Evil Dead is the finale. Ash is there surrounded by the possessed remnants of his friends. He throws the book into the fire. It unleashes an amazing display of stop motion as we witness things decompose. The colors are vibrant in this sequence.

Then the film ends not with a whimper but a scream. The Evil slamming through the cabin as it tries to find Ash. Through this sequence, I found myself thinking of Halloween's ending in a sense. It quickly summed up the events of the film as we are shown the different pieces of the cabin. No matter what Ash did, the force would get him. It's very bleak for an ending. Thankfully we would get more a few years later in Evil Dead II.

With this film, Raimi was able to showcase his filmmaking skills. One of the most well known examples being that a camera was attached to a 2x4 and slammed through the back window and windshield of the Oldsmobile. This POV easily became a Raimi trademark as it was used in subsequent films. Another of Raimi's trademarks were the smash zooms. In this film, I don't remember it used all that much yet. But it'd go on to become a language of this franchise. 

It's easy to see why Evil Dead has stayed over the years. And to many more years as well...

Rating: 5 out of 5. 


Follow BlazinBlue's Horror Review on Social Media

Facebook

Twitter







No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to My Nightmare: A Review of Dylan's New Nightmare

Hello all, it feels so good to be able to bring you a new review. A lot of things have happened during the hiatus. The biggest t...