Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Session 9 (2001)

This past weekend was date night with my partner. We went out to eat at our favorite little diner (it's been open since the 1930s) and went antiquing (I scored an Alien #4 from Marvel). We closed out our night by booting up Shudder. We were a bit torn at what to watch since there is so much on there. However, I remember that I kept hearing about Session 9.

Besides the typical hearing that it was great and something should check out, I didn't know anything about the movie. This made it an interesting experiment as just diving in blind. Honestly, if you are thinking about checking it out - go do it. Stop reading and just go check it out. It'll result in a super interesting experience. 

The synopsis for Session 9 is as follows: 
A tale of terror when a group of asbestos removal workers start work in an abandoned insane asylum. The complex of buildings looms up out of the woods like a dormant beast. Grand, imposing ... abandoned, deteriorating. The residents of Danvers, Massachusetts steer well clear of the place. But Danvers State Mental Hospital, closed down for 15 years, is about to receive five new visitors...

Now, this was the best synopsis for the film. The one that's available on IMDB sucks. It sadly reveals a little more information about the film than what one should know. The best way to experience it is by going in blind. I think now that I know what happens, I may revisit it again. But again, go in blind if you can. 

That said, Session 9 was released in 2001. It was a really small release. From what I could gather, it didn't break any huge ground back then. It could be consider a failure. However over the years, it has managed to find its audience. To the point that now, Session 9 could be considered a cult classic. 

This film was an experience. Going into it, I was thinking that it'd be a little along the lines of Grave Encounters but with an asbestos crew. However, this film was not that. I was honestly not prepared in the very least for what this film is. I didn't see much of where the story was going to go or what was going on. The film does go out of its way a bit to let you experience it through Gordon's perspective mostly. Yeah, we get time with all the asbestos crew. But it just feels like times where we see through Gordon's perspective specifically. 

This whole crew is interesting. I will give it that much. However, they are all assholes. Well, maybe not Gordon's nephew. But pretty much everyone else is an asshole. There is ulterior motives for each and every one of them. I was very much surprised to see Dave Caruso in the film. However, he has a moment that is just legendary. The way he performs the scene is just fantastic. 

Overall, Session 9 was a bit creepy. It did have a good atmosphere to it. The ending was something that I didn't see coming. Upon second watch, I did realize there is a bit of foreshadowing with it. I just wish I liked it more than I did.  It felt a little lacking in scares as well as any answers for what was happening and why.  It is for a good one time watch though.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5.

Session 9 can be found streaming on Shudder.


Follow BlazinBlue's Review on FacebookTwitter,  and Instagram.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to My Nightmare: A Review of Dylan's New Nightmare

Hello all, it feels so good to be able to bring you a new review. A lot of things have happened during the hiatus. The biggest t...