Tuesday, June 7, 2022

X (2022)


Ti West's is a director that I can say has a unique approach to his films. His whole filmmaking style is akin to the 70s Era. He had made a few of my favorite horror films (House of the Devil and The Innkeepers). And it was interesting seeing him make an appearance in You're Next. 

Hard to imagine that it's been a while since we had a Ti West film. But when news about his latest film dropped, I was all in. I honestly had no idea what to expect from the film. Of course, I'm talking about X that was released this past March. 

When someone asks you to describe X, what would you tell them? For me, I would definitely say that this is a film that doesn't necessarily hold back. It knows exactly what its going for and is extremely unapologetic about it. It is a bit of a slow burn. But by this point, I would say that it's an aspect that Ti West excels in for his films. 

So if you are someone that doesn't appreciate the slow burn, go check out something else. This isn't for you. 

The story of X follows an adult film production that are trying to break out. They want to hit it big. They want to be loved by many. And most importantly for them, they want the big money. But this is challenged when they encounter an old couple. It's a fairly simple story. One that I definitely would applaud. It's a story that just felt a bit fresh. There are some aspects that harken to other films - very much a Texas Chainsaw vibe being in the forefront.

One of the things that I can say is that all the characters are memorable. Each and every one of them. At first, I was a bit ready to see certain members of the production crew meet their ends. However, West gives us time with them. And before I knew it, I was hoping they'd be okay. 

I think with all of the Legacy Sequels we have been seeing, it lessens the impact of horror. It does seem like everybody is trying to capitalize on Legacy Sequels. However with X, it did prove that people are hungry for original content. And every one is answering the call with so much love for the film. 

The gore in this film does take some time to get to. But when it does, it is extremely worth it. There were a few scenes where there was an uneasiness to everything unfolding. And when that was occurring, I found myself cringing and looking forward to the moment to end. For that, I would say that it is effective. 

Overall, X was an interesting watch. It felt like another lost movie of the 70s as House of the Devil was. It's been interesting seeing the positive response to it. I think it shows that original horror is beginning to make a return. I would definitely recommend it..just don't go full in expecting 100% Texas Chainsaw Massacre. And I look forward to seeing the prequel, Pearl.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

*Full Credit to @creepyduckart for the alternate poster for X. Go check out their Twitter and website for more amazing artwork.*

Follow BlazinBlue's Review on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to My Nightmare: A Review of Dylan's New Nightmare

Hello all, it feels so good to be able to bring you a new review. A lot of things have happened during the hiatus. The biggest t...