Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Escape Room (2019)

 


    Hello everyone, I hope that you had a good weekend. I've returned with a review for a little film called Escape Room. Escape Room was released in 2019. It was written by Bragi F. Schut and Maria Melnik while directed by Adam Robitel. 

    Okay, I will admit when I first heard that Sony was releasing a movie called Escape Room. I was a little confused. I wasn't sure what they were trying to do. Then I saw that the film was going to be rated PG-13. From the previews, it gave me a very distinct SAW feel. Okay, Sony. I guess your trying to make a PG-13 SAW movie. With each new trailer that dropped, I just found myself feeling whelmed. I mean it looked okay. But just not something I was interested in going to see at the theater. But then again at that time, I didn't really go out to the theater very often. 

    So I waited till it was available to stream. Was it what I was expecting? Honestly, no. It was something that I wasn't expecting. Escape Room is not Sony's attempt at a PG-13 SAW ripoff. It is it's own thing completely. It was a film that caught me off guard completely. The synopsis for the film is as follows: Six adventurous strangers travel to a mysterious building to experience the escape room -- a game where players compete to solve a series of puzzles to win $10,000. What starts out as seemingly innocent fun soon turns into a living nightmare as the four men and two women discover each room is an elaborate trap that's part of a sadistic game of life or death.

    Honestly that synopsis doesn't exactly scream this is not a generic rip off of SAW. But trust me, it's not. What caught me off guard was that there were quite a few good characters in this film. Ben, Zoey, Amanda, Danny, Mike, and Jason. Ben is a guy that works at a local grocery store that's trying his best to get enough money to move out of his Mom's house. Zoey is a physics student. Amanda is an Iraq War veteran. Danny is an escape room enthusiast. Mike is your average truck driver. And Jason is a wealthy day trader. They've all been invited to participate in an escape room. What's the worst that could happen? 

    Well, it very much could go horribly wrong when they first realize what the stakes are. It seems like it'll be a 'typical' escape room, but quickly the game is unleashed. It was at this point that it became clear that this was not a SAW rip-off. The 'game' was being orchestrated by a company called Minos. Throughout the film, we begin to learn more about each of the puzzles and how they relate to each of the characters. The way everything unfolds is very smart. It allowed us to experience each of the different puzzles in an intimate way as it related to a certain character. It never once felt like it was overstepping its boundaries as well. 

    Before I knew it, the film had reached its ending. I was completely shocked. I hadn't expected the film to play out the way that it did. But I appreciated it for that. When I revisited it again, the film still was something that intrigued me. Especially with the world building that it does, by the end I was ready for more. I was ready for a sequel. I wanted more time with our characters because they were interesting. Plus, there was some pretty good chemistry between two of them as well. 

    Now, I know I didn't dive too much into specifics for this film. Mostly because I really think it's one that many have overlooked. It's a film that is a fun thrill ride. And it's especially awesome that it's not trying to reach too far outside of that. Most films these days are trying to build three-four movies from just one. Or at the very least, be the next big franchise. However, Escape Room feels like a film that was just proud of what it was. 

Rating: 4 out of 5.


Follow BlazinBlue's Horror Review on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to My Nightmare: A Review of Dylan's New Nightmare

Hello all, it feels so good to be able to bring you a new review. A lot of things have happened during the hiatus. The biggest t...