Tuesday, March 1, 2022

BlazinBlue's Book Review: Vamp (2022)

 


    Welcome back to BlazinBlue's Book Review. Last time, I spoke about the Beach Horror anthologies Slice of Paradise and Beach Bodies from DarkLit Press. Previously I had reviewed the Wishmaster novelization audio book from Encyclopocalypse Publications. It was a fantastic novelization. I've had quite a few novelizations over the years. It's something that I guess I can say I collect. I have the three Raimi Spider-Man novelizations as well as The Punisher. My partner came home from a antiquing trip with a first edition from 1974 of Night of the Living Dead. After that, I've been trying to complete a collection of Romero novels. So as a novelization collector, it's refreshing to see a company take the time to revisit films and give them an adaptation they never received. 

    I had the chance to check out their latest novelization, Vamp. It's based off the screenplay of Vamp from 1986. For me, I have honestly never heard of the movie. So I wasn't sure if I should try to track it down before reading the book. I'm glad that I went into it blind. The story follows Keith and AJ, two fraternity pledges that are trying to bribe their way into a fraternity so they can get out of the dorms. AJ guarantees that their key to success is to make a kick-ass party by getting them drinks and a stripper. This takes them on a journey over to the wrong side of town where they encounter a club like no other. It's one for the ages as it's workers are creatures of the night. This makes it a night that Keith will never forget as he's forced to survive until dawn. 

    This was a very interesting read. It's filled with some very colorful characters outside of Keith and AJ. I honestly wasn't sure where the story was going to go. It just felt like Keith was put through the wringer and had to do his best. If I had to make a comparison I would say that this felt like Fright Night mixed with Judgement Night. Never once did I feel like the pacing of the story was a problem. Knowing that the film was released in '86, it gave me the feeling that it was a bit ahead of its time. As the whole club idea with vampires became successful with Robert Rodriguez's From Dusk Till Dawn. 

    If you're interested in checking out an interesting vampire story, give this a shot. I definitely would recommend it. 

Rating: 4 out of 5. It can be found over on Amazon or from their website. 


Follow BlazinBlue's Horror Review on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.

Check out other Novels and Audio Books from Encyclopocalypse.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to My Nightmare: A Review of Dylan's New Nightmare

Hello all, it feels so good to be able to bring you a new review. A lot of things have happened during the hiatus. The biggest t...