Thursday, February 10, 2022

It Came From The Dollar Tree: The Frankenstein Theory (2013)

    


  Welcome back to It Came From The Dollar Tree! The series where I take a look at the films that may be available at your local Dollar Tree. Last time, I had the pleasure of checking out They Reach (2020). It was an interesting little indie film. 

    Today, I take a dive back into my Dollar Tree collection and came out with - well, it's a film. That's definitely something that I can say about it. It's probably not a good way to start this, is it? Brace yourself as we take a trip into the cold with The Frankenstein Theory from 2013. 

    When I first saw the cover for The Frankenstein Theory, I was a bit interested. I mean it literally has a good look at what I was guessing the Monster would be. It immediately gives you a great idea of what the film is going to be. But the question is - does it really though? Pushing aside my thoughts of negativity for it, I was sold on the film because it pitched itself as being from the creators of The Last Exorcism. The Last Exorcism is a film that I haven't yet covered here on the blog, but will be in the future. However, it is a film that I do enjoy. 

    What is The Frankenstein Theory though? To sum it up in a nutshell, it's The Blair Witch Project with the Monster as the stand-in for the Witch. Yes, that is exactly how I would sum it up. While The Blair Witch Project is a success, this film is something that didn't work for me. To start off though, I was very open minded when I first started the film. It was establishing the ground work and was taking its time. Jonathan Venkenhein had talked his friend Vicky and her documentary crew in documenting their journey to follow in Venkenhein's family's footsteps. He wanted to prove that his theory was right - the story of Frankenstein was based in fact, did happen, and that the Monster is out there in the world today. After they start their journey, they begin to run into 'issues'. And yes, that's including dealing with someone that was very clearly on Meth. Actually that whole sequence is pretty dang entertaining. 

    But it's not till they get to the Canadian outdoors that the film starts to falter. It spends more time with its cast talking, instead of attempting to develop any sense of threat. And it's in that instance, the film drags on so much. I was left wondering when the hell The Monster was going to show up. There's only so much time with the humans that one can take in a film called "The Frankenstein Theory". It has Frankenstein in the title. By the time, it came to a close there is a glimpse of The Monster but ultimately what was the point. It was too little too late. 

     I cannot fathom as to why they thought this was a good idea. Yeah, the first half of the film is good. It managed to draw me in. But not having more of The Monster in the second half feels like a huge miss. Immediately after the film finished, I googled The Frankenstein Theory and saw what it was to look like. What The Hell! You have a take on The Monster that looks pretty damn good. It's interesting and very unique, in my opinion. Why not feature it more? Were you so afraid of breaking your 'found footage' reality? It just absolutely boggles my mind. If they had used The Monster more, the film would have worked so much better. 

Rating: 2 out of 5.


Follow BlazinBlue's Horror Review on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.




    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to My Nightmare: A Review of Dylan's New Nightmare

Hello all, it feels so good to be able to bring you a new review. A lot of things have happened during the hiatus. The biggest t...