Friday, January 7, 2022

Everyone Has A Secret To Die For: There's Someone Inside Your House (2021)


    Hello everyone, Matthew here. I was sitting and thinking about what I could review next. For the first time, I didn't have a lot of films lined up to cover next. Yeah, I knew that I wanted to talk about the Scream series (Part 1 and Part 2  retrospectives are up). And I have a few book reviews coming in the coming weeks. But again, it felt like I was back to where I was when I first started the blog. It's a pretty freeing feeling in a sense. Probably because there are just so many movies available to talk about. I could choose just about any of them. But something was telling me the direction to go. With the celebration of the Scream franchise and the new movie coming out next week, I thought it'd be nice to check out some slashers that maybe you haven't seen yet.

    With this past summer, Netflix was pretty high on celebrating the slasher genre. I mean they were super keen on marketing the summer as the Summer of Fear with the release of the Fear Street Trilogy. For me, that series hit on a very high note. Okay, Netflix I was in on what you were selling. It seemed that they were releasing 'Netflix Original' horror movies a lot more frequently. And yeah, they have more coming to the service. But the question is 'Are they good?' or has this become the new direct-to-video or would it be direct-to-streaming now? 

    The first film that I decided to give a shot is There's Someone Inside Your House. This was a film that honestly I didn't know much about. I remember seeing a bit of Twitter ads for it when it getting released. But then after that, it felt like everything had gone silent. Now, typically that would feel like the signs of a bad movie or a movie that just missed its audience. I kept it in my mind though. I knew that I wanted to cover it and just had to go through the backlog to get to it. Now, it felt like the perfect time to check it out. 

    There's Someone Inside Your House is based off a book by Stephanie Perkins. I haven't read the novel. So I can't say how 'faithful' this adaptation is to it. It was directed by Patrick Brice and written by Henry Gayden. The sypnosis, according to Netflix, is as follows


Now to start off, I want to say that this film has a banger of an opening. It is tense and filled with a bit of atmosphere. I wasn't surprised with how the opening played out. Partly it does feel a bit like an homage to Scream. 

 After the opening, the film begins introducing its characters with Makani Young (Sydney Park), Zach Sandford (Dale Whibley), Alex (Ashja Cooper), Darby (Jesse LaTourette), and Rodrigo (Diego Josef). Everyone's paying their respects. Not many are taking it seriously at all. I had a bit of a time trying to track all of the characters because there are a lot. 

That's probably my biggest problem with the film. Character. Yeah, we get a lot of characters. But it feels like we don't necessarily get a lot of time with many of them. We see mostly bits and snippets. And for the most part, it felt like there was a lot of usage of weed. Now, I'm not someone that's against it. But it just felt like these teenagers were lighting up quite a bit more frequently. I understand that it could be their way of coping with everything going on around them. But come on, why couldn't we spend more time getting to know characters? 

The more time I spend thinking about this film. The more I am starting to realize that this is meant to be a fun popcorn flick. It's brief. It doesn't overstay its welcome. It just kind of leaves you wanting to see more. 

Now, it's a horror film. It does have some gore. It is pretty typical on what you can expect. The killer has a weapon: a knife or sword. It's pretty par for the course. Though, I will say that the second kill in this film was pretty bold. It is probably the most memorable of the film. 

Overall, There's Inside Your House is one that I wish there was more of. I wish there was more character development. For the most part, it just all feels a bit brief and flies by. If you are looking for a fun popcorn horror film, give this one a watch.

Rating: 3 out of 5. 

Follow BlazinBlue's Horror Review on Facebook and Twitter. You can also subscribe to receive email updates when new content drops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to My Nightmare: A Review of Dylan's New Nightmare

Hello all, it feels so good to be able to bring you a new review. A lot of things have happened during the hiatus. The biggest t...