Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Well, Hello There: Last Night In Soho (2021)

 

   Hello everyone again, Matthew here with another review. Earlier today, I had mentioned that I was beginning to go through things for my Top 10 of 2021. When I had written down every 2021 film that I had covered, I realized that there was only about 12. Honestly, that's a pretty low count. However looking back at it, it's actually pretty impressive considering that's only 2021 releases. So far, as of right now, I have written about 139 articles so far (including this one). That's exceptionally well considering I only recently came back to this back in July. But there was something missing. A member over on Twitter (@oddsocietyUSA) had pointed out that I never covered Edgar Wright's latest film, Last Night in Soho. 

    Now I remember seeing the preview for Last Night in Soho when I went to see Nia DaCosta's Candyman (yeah, that's what I'm always going to be referring to that as). It was something that I hadn't given much thought. The trailer was a very memorable one. It just hit me as being something that looked different. It was something that I knew I would end up digging, but unprepared for just how much. I had also seen the second Malignant trailer that had sold me on that film as well, but that's another story. The trailer was a true spectacle. It had dazzling visuals, it lured you in with its melody, and then promised to be something unexpected. 

    That trailer does not compare to how the film is. It was a great trailer. It brought the film to my attention. However, I have to say that it was a bit of a misdirect. This film is far grander and more grandiose than I could have imagined. This is a film that is truly special. And if I do say so myself, it's one of Edgar Wright's greatest masterpieces. If Shaun of the Dead was his Night of the Living Dead, Last Night in Soho is his Sixth Sense. 

    Eloise (Thomasin McKenzie) is an aspiring fashion designer. She is absolutely in love with the 60s. The music and the fashion. It is her absolute inspiration. She's hoping to make her Gran and her mother proud. After moving to London for school, Eloise finds herself being able to be transported back to the 1960s and encounters a dazzling wannabe singer (Anya Taylor-Joy). However over time, Eloise uncovers that not all is dazzling as these dreams of the past begin to splinter and uncover something far darker. 

    This film is so damn good. It's is enrapturing. I am one hundred percent sure that I'll be revisiting it again soon. I would love to dive further into the story, but that would be a disservice to everything Edgar Wright has crafted. Trust me, this is one that you will want to go in blind. 

    The visuals in this film are amazing. Wright lures you in with a beautiful dreamlike atmosphere. The way the film evolves is so good. It begins as a fish out of water story, but then begins slowly going down the rabbit hole. The first trip down the rabbit hole begins with the transportation to the 1960s and it's absolutely fantastic. I mean there is so much good stuff. There's even a swing dancing sequence. And as someone that knows and loves swing dancing so much, it made me so happy to see.  As the story slowly unravels itself, the visuals begin to shift. It's a more haunting atmosphere that is unlike anything I have seen from Wright yet. There were moments that it was absolutely chilling. 

    The cast in this film is so good. Thomasin McKenzie is absolutely brilliant as Eloise. She's endearing and you just want the best for her. Anya Taylor-Joy is just as brilliant with her performance as the mysterious Sandy. As the film progresses, you begin to see Eloise learning from Sandy and coming into her own. With Sandy, it's a bit more of a haunting tale as you see just what the world can do to someone. Matt Smith is here as well. For anyone that doesn't know, I love Doctor Who and Matt Smith was my intro to it. I even enjoyed seeing him in Terminator: Genisys (I will not apologize for that film as I really enjoyed it). But here is a performance unlike any other. He is able to add so many layers to his performance as Jack. Almost like an onion, one would say. Terrance Stamp is also here. And I cannot rave about this performance enough. He may be in the film only a small portion, but when he is on screen - it is amazing. 

    The film does feel different when it begins to shift into horror territory. It's more unapologetic. It's more chilling as it shows just what the world is at times. And then there's a sequence where it takes that step further down the rabbit hole into giallo. Now, we have seen Malignant earlier this year that was Wan's love letter to Giallo. This feels a bit like Wright's love letter to that. And it is beautiful because when things take a turn, it really turns. It all culminates into such a brilliant third act that I never saw coming. The ending of the film was also one that I appreciated and is brilliant. 

    Overall, I cannot recommend Last Night In Soho enough. It is so amazing. I know that it wasn't in theaters long due to the pandemic. However, I really hope that it is able to find its audience. I am sure that it will. This is one that definitely went under the radar for far too long. If you have the chance, don't pass it up. 

Rating: 5 out of 5. 

Follow BlazinBlue's Horror Review on Facebook and Twitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to My Nightmare: A Review of Dylan's New Nightmare

Hello all, it feels so good to be able to bring you a new review. A lot of things have happened during the hiatus. The biggest t...