Friday, October 8, 2021

You Know The Drill: Slumber Party Massacre (2021)

When I first watched the original Slumber Party Massacre, I loved it. Earlier this year, I had the chance to revisit it. It held up extremely well. It was the first time that my partner, Mandy, got to watch the film. They loved it. It has a very distinct unique voice. One that was different from other slashers at the time. It had a very feminine perspective - credit for that must go to Amy Holden Jones and Rita Mae Brown. It definitely played upon ones expectations on what a slasher film could be. It resulted in a film that was a love letter to the genre while also having fun with it. 

When it was first announced that it would be receiving a remake, I was a bit hesitant. Actually I'll admit it, I was very skeptical. The original was a very good film. *Note to self: Must track it down on blu-ray.* Then I started to think about it after hearing it would be from Shout! Studios and SYFY. I started to become a bit more open to the idea of it. I wasn't exactly sure how they would adapt it. There are definitely many ways that one could go about doing so. That's honestly one of the beautiful aspects of approaching a remake, it is a bit of an open slate. 

Then the trailer was released, it looked like fun. It looked like it was approaching the material with respect and honor. I immediately was like Let's Go! I even remember looking at my partner with a huge smile on my face. They were like What are you smirking about? I immediately turned my phone and showed them the trailer. Mandy was on board as well. At that time, word had begun to get out from Fantastic Fest screening. The word was its good. My excitement just continued to grow for the film. 

After that, I decided that I would just take my shot and reach out to those involved. Thank you to Danishka Esterhazy, SYFY and NBCUniversal for allowing me this huge opportunity. 

Now, I'm not going to be diving into spoilers with this review. That's not what this one is going to be about. Be patient and after the film is released, we will be diving deeper into things. 

With all of that out of the way, is Slumber Party Massacre (2021) a Slumber Party Massacre film? Girls having a great time at a slumber party? Check. Crazed man that silently stalks them from the shadows? Check. Massive oversized power drill? Check. Yes, this is a Slumber Party Massacre film. 

How is the film? First off, I went into the movie with a lot of expectations. I am happy to say that Danishka Esterhazy (Director/Executive Producer) and Suzanne Keilly (writer) have crafted a very fine film. They knew exactly the kind of film that they wanted to make and story to tell. They are not afraid of having fun with the material while also honoring and respecting the original film. It allows the film to be a fun rollercoaster. And that's something that is very refreshing and gives the film such a unique voice.

Now going back to my expectations, they took every one that I had and subverted it. I thought I knew where the story was going one minute and then the next, they proved me wrong. It left me guessing as to what was going to happen next. This is a film that also manages to dip into different types of horror. One minute it's a straight forward slasher, then it'll dip into a bit of parody and follow it up with a feminine take on things. There are many different aspects that are being juggled throughout the runtime. 

The characters are all pretty well rounded. When compared to the original, I would say that they are given a bit more depth in this take. Would I have enjoyed more time with them? Yes, I would have loved more time getting to know the characters. But I never felt like they were cardboard cutouts that fill the typical sterotypes. Each one has something that makes them standout. 

For those worried that there wouldn't be any gore, don't be. There is gore in this film. I would say that there probably is more than in the original film. The kills are well done. Yeah, we get the oversized power drill from the original. But be prepared for a few surprises with the weapons used. There is a healthy amount of them. 

This film looks beautiful. There are many times where I kept forgetting that this was a SyFy Original. The way that the colors are utilized is so good. It's very nice and bright at times. 

Overall, Slumber Party Massacre (2021) is a film that I honestly wasn't expecting. It left me wondering where the story was going to go next. It honors and respects the legacy of this franchise while updating the story wonderfully. There are quite a few likeable characters. It's a fun, gorey, rollercoaster. One that honestly helped me realize that 2021 really is the year fun horror movies have returned. 

Rating: 5 out of 5. 

*A screener was supplied by NBCUniversal and the SYFY Press Team*

"Slumber Party Massacre" airs Saturday, October 16th at 9PM PT/ET on SYFY. 

Follow BlazinBlue's Horror Review on Facebook and Twitter.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to My Nightmare: A Review of Dylan's New Nightmare

Hello all, it feels so good to be able to bring you a new review. A lot of things have happened during the hiatus. The biggest t...