Friday, October 1, 2021

Welcome to the Blumhouse: Black as Night

 Hello everyone, I had the pleasure of attending the virtual premiere for Amazon Prime and Blumhouse's new installment of their Welcome To The Blumhouse series. This is a series of films that first premiered in 2020. For me, it feels like a natural next step and sister series to Hulu's Into The Dark series of films. Honestly, it's easy to see why Blumhouse is everywhere and is now the big name in horror. And yes, they have usurped the throne from New Line Cinema and Lionsgate. 

During this premiere, you had the choice to watch either Bingo Hell or Black As Night. All I had to choose from when I made the choice was just going off the sypnosis for each film. I made a note to myself to avoid trailers. Because well trailers tend to spoil a lot of things in films these days. I mean did you see the last trailer for Halloween Kills? So with my choice before me, I texted my partner - Mandy and asked her to choose between A or B. They chose B and immediately clicked Black As Night and here we are. 

Black As Night was written by Sherman Payne and directed by Maritte Lee Go. It stars Ashja Cooper, Fabrizio Guido, Mason Beauchamp and the great Keith David. 

The story of the film goes a little something like this "A teenage girl with self-esteem issues finds confidence in the most unlikely way, by spending her summer battling vampires that prey on New Orleans' disenfranchised with the help of her best friend, the boy she's always pined for, and a peculiar rich girl."

When the film first began, I honestly did not know what to expect. I had stayed away from the trailer and really had glimpsed over the sypnosis initially. I was definitely approaching this film in a completely different mindset than I have ever done before. I was going in completely with an open mind. Going in blind and only knowing the title. 

Well, I am happy to say that I'll be taking this approach with more movies down the road. I think the next one will be for Bingo Hell when that releases. So stay tuned for that review. It honestly just made everything hit very well because it was just so fresh. 

Now, teenage girl battling vampires. I know what many people immediately think of when they hear that. Buffy. I mean come on, even our heroine of the film references it. Heck, there were a moment or two when I immediately started thinking of that. I quickly shut that down though. This film is not that nor is it trying to be. 

This film hit me as a different kind of vampire film. It is completely steeped in so much history. This is a film that is told through a diverse perspective with such a diverse cast. It's also one that is a much more modern take on New Orleans as well - through the lens of a post-Katrina New Orleans. And honestly that's a big thing. Because typically we see the romantic approach (i.e. Princess and The Frog) and not one grounded in a little more modern day. 

Now don't get me wrong. This film isn't grounded in reality. I mean it's a film with vampires in it. But the interesting thing about it is that it's a take that's not been seen before. The head honcho in this film is not in the vein of Dracula. He is a vampire that was turned in the 1800s and has had to witness each of the historic events that happened in the world. At one point, they even go as far to mentioning 2020 outright. They are of this world. They just happen to have glowing eyes a little bit.

There are some deaths in this film. There is some blood in it as well. The effects are really solid. But for the most part, they take a backseat to the story. So we are able to invest ourselves with our heroes and heroines. We are able to get to know some of them. Would I have liked to spend a little more time with them? Yeah, it would be nice. But overall, it didn't hinder my enjoyment of the film. One of the standout effects for me was when the vampires are staked. I literally was caught off guard at first. So much that it left me laughing at myself. It was definitely very different, fresh and unique take on what we are used to seeing. 

At this point, it hit me that I haven't dove too far into many details. Honestly, I don't think I will. This is a film that is a fun ride. It's enjoyable and by the end I was ready for more. I hope that they are able to do more with the story - whether a sequel or something else. The world that is established in this film is very unique. In a way, it's our world. 

So do as I did, stay away from the trailer. You don't need to read the sypnosis. Go in completely blind and you might be surprised. Honestly, it's the best way to experience the film. It's definitely one that I will return to. It also never overstays its welcome. 

Rating: 4 out of 5. 

Black As Night is available to watch on Amazon Prime.

Follow BlazinBlue's Horror Review on Facebook and Twitter




No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to My Nightmare: A Review of Dylan's New Nightmare

Hello all, it feels so good to be able to bring you a new review. A lot of things have happened during the hiatus. The biggest t...