Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Let The Fun Begin: A Chat with G. O. Parsons

Earlier this year, the new horror flick Willy's Wonderland was released. This was a film that had seen Nicolas Cage fighting animatronics from a children's restaurant. I know it sounds a bit Five Nights at Freddy's-ish. However, I am pleased to say that the film is just bonkers in a good way. 

Today, I am pleased to bring to you my chat with the creator/writer of the film, G. O. Parsons. 

What was your introduction to the horror genre?
My cousins and I have been watching horror movies and B movies since I was 10 years old. They were always and are currently my favorite kinds of films. Sometimes we just want entertainment where we don’t have to think. 

What was the inspiration for the film? 
I was trying to further my acting career by making a movie. I had done plenty of plays and wanted to branch out. The easiest thing I could think of done was a horror movie in one location with a hero who didn’t speak any lines. I thought that I would be playing the role and filming all the scenes

The film has a very distinct vibe to it. In some instances it feels like it's inspired by Evil Dead 2 with its over the topness. 
Thank you. Kevin, the director, is a huge fan of the Evil Dead series as am I. So, we certainly wanted to bring that aspect to it.

The animatronics. Where did the idea come from for each of them? 
When I was growing up, I went to a family fun center called Boomtown. It was on the border of California and Nevada. It was very much like Willys wonderland. 

The animatronics a lot of them were influenced by Nick Cage who is a big fan of reptiles and amphibians. He suggested the alligator, the Chamaeleon, and the turtle.

Were you on set much while filming? Did you get to meet Nic? If so, what was it like getting to meet him? 
I was in Europe when the movie filmed. But it was nice to be kept in the loop. Nic Cage is an amazing person and a terrific producer and a fabulous actor. It was a dream came true that he championed the script.

What was it you think that made him just dive right in?
I think that the silent character was what had caught his interest. He had done 100 movies. But he had never done a movie where he didn’t speak. I also think that he was just a fan like we’re all fans. And who wouldn’t wanna be the janitor?

Whose idea was it to have the cleaner (what I call Nic's character) be silent?
It was my idea to have him be silent throughout the whole entire thing. As previously mentioned, I thought I would be playing the part originally. However, it works out in the film. I think the Janitor can speak. But only when he needs to. 

Having films in one location. That's something that's always nice to see. I think it's something that we are beginning to return to with some horror films. 

I think out of all the animatronics the Turtle is my favorite. 
Tito is my Dad's favorite as well. 

Whose idea was it for the Fairy? Is that what she is? Shes very distinct. Almost setting herself apart from the others.
The fairy was one of my favorites too. She was supposed to look like an evil version of the fairy from the children's movie, Ferngully.

How do you feel about the finished film?
The movie turned out nearly exactly as I imagined it. That was a huge victory. 

What are your thoughts on the response to the film?
The response has been amazing. Millions of people know about Willys Wonderland all over the world. And that's a huge victory!

Where does the story go next for the world of Willy's Wonderland?
Up next, we have a prequel comic. It will be 4 issues over the next year.

Do you think we will get a sequel?
I hope there will be a Willy's Wonderland 2. But I don't know yet. It's hard to put the pieces in place.

Will we see more of the Janitor?
Could we see the Janitor in a different type of film? Let's plug the character into other genres and see how he fares?
I agree it would be awesome to see the Janitor plugged into different situations where he has to battle evil. Hopefully that can be explored in some medium, some day. 

Check out Willy's Wonderland on Hulu. It's available on DVD and Blu ray as well. 



Follow G. O. Parsons on Twitter.

Follow BlazinBlue's Horror Review on Facebook and Twitter.


Leave a comment and follow. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to My Nightmare: A Review of Dylan's New Nightmare

Hello all, it feels so good to be able to bring you a new review. A lot of things have happened during the hiatus. The biggest t...