Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Happy Halloween Michael: Rob Zombie's Halloween

Fourteen years. It's been fourteen years since Rob Zombie's Halloween hit theaters. I sit here thinking about it and not sure how to feel about it. 
The first thing is that I feel a bit old. I remember getting up and then driving down to my local theater. I was early and had to wait five minutes for it to open. It was the first screening as they didn't have a midnight release for it. 

I sat in my seat in the theater. I was probably five rows back. It was a good spot because could see the whole screen. I was the only one there. Within another minute, a mother and her son showed up. He didn't look to be more than eight years old. He sounded excited like his mom had let him watch the earlier films. 

Boy were they in for a surprise. The lights came down and the previews started. I forget what they even were. I just know the mom and her son were sitting two aisles ahead of me. Then the movie started...

The family breakfast moment immediately set the tone. It was nothing but pure Rob Zombie. The way the characters acted and talked to one another, it was very in the style of The Devil's Rejects. I sat back and laughed. Immediately I knew this was going to be different. 

For the mother and her son, however, it took them a little longer. After all the Michelle jokes, we had Michael being bullied in the bathroom. I kept thinking no wonder he turned out the way he did - he kept getting crapped on. I had to give some credit that when Michael finally starts pushing back, it was something to behold. And then we were introduced to Michael McDowell's Loomis. Entering stage right, full of himself with his long hippy dippy hair. Donald Pleasance Loomis this was not going to be. 

By this point, I was sold on the film. I was enjoying all the performances. Sheri Moon was doing a really fantastic job as Michael's mom. Her arc was a bit tragic to me. Because she was doing the best she could to keep things together for her family. Literally, Michael was her whole world. I didn't mind Daeg Faerch as young Michael. My only thing was that I felt he talked a little too much. If they would have him say one or two things, maybe just even to mom - it would have made things more powerful. William Forsythe was a whole nother level. The way he was just shouting and acting anyway he well pleased. It was an interesting take. 

Then the big moment happened. Michael blind sided the bully after school. It took me a few minutes before I realized that this was Daryl Sahara from Spy Kids. This was a whole new performance from him. Michael just beats the bully to death with the tree branch. 

It was at this point where I watched the mother and son get up and leave the theater. I'm guessing they were going to get their refund. I sat back in my chair and laughed. I was left watching the remainder of the film by myself. 

The film actually flew by after this. Michael's attack on Judith, Steve and Ronnie were all very powerful. Michael had finally had enough of Ronnie's crap and tied him to the chair before slitting throat. That is very brutal. The way the camera also tends to look right up into Michael's mask so creepy and unnerving. This was Michael in action. I felt a little bad for Steve. He was really in the wrong place in the wrong time. If only he hadn't came over, what would have happened to him. Plus he just really wanted a sandwich. Michael's assault on Judith was a whole nother thing. This is one part where I'd say it hurt the film. 

I understand that these scenes were a good chunk of the first half of the film. But if they would had have Michael shut the front door then we cut to Michael's mom arriving home, I don't think we wouldnt have lost anything. It may have made this whole portion stronger. 

Typically, we are then treated to scenes with Loomis and Michael. The interplay between these two in the beginning was great. We then see Michael just retreating into himself as the years go by. Thus leaving a lasting effect on Loomis. 

Loomis in this film was good. It was different from Donald Pleasance and did its own thing. It never felt like it was overstepping. Plus McDowell gets to show exactly how much of an effect everything had on him - leaving him a little jaded. 

The breakout scene. This was something that was outstanding. Yes, we got to see Bill Moseley as one of the guards transporting Michael. But we got to see Michael's brute strength as he snaps the chains off him. The jack o lantern mask that he wears is my favorite as well. It's a very iconic look. But Michael quickly makes work of the guards as the blood flies. This was everything I was hoping for. 

(Later on, I'd see the Unrated cut. I was expecting to really dig this version of the film. Previously I had kept unrated cuts as my go to versions of films. This one was a pass. I had loved the theatrical cut so much that seeing the unrated cut left a bad feeling. It was all due to a change being the omission of the asylum breakout with the guards to Michael stopping one of the workers from taking advantage of another inmate. It was the one thing that still is just too much. )

After this, then we enter familiar territory. It's a shortened version of the Carpenter film through the Rob Zombie lens. It's definitely a nice modern take. Even if some of the characters were a bit excessive. They took things a little farther. I enjoyed this second half of the film. But it partially plays things safe as events happen how we expect them to. 

Scout Taylor Compton delivers a terrific performance as Laurie Strode. It was more believable. It was less of a goody too shoes. She had a small amount of edge to her. Danielle Harris had an outstanding performance as Annie. Yeah, she was a bit similar to the previous incarnation. However, Harris has such a likeability that you can't help but care about her. Kristina Klebe rounds the three girls as Lynda. This is definitely an improvement. She feels less ditzy. She's more believable as well. Another great inclusion to the cast is Brad Dourif as Sheriff Bracket. Seeing the care that he has for Annie, it makes a more relatable performance. He doesn't want to deal with Michael being round, he just wants things to go according to plan. To the point, it's fun seeing him butt heads with McDowell. 

Overall, I love this film. This was a take that felt familiar yet modernized. Michael was a brute force. Nothing would get in his way once he set his sights on something. Plus the showdown with Laurie at the end in the old house. It was tense and memorable. Another of my favorite moments. The way the film ends with a literal bang. It left me wanting to see where the story would go next. I was excited. It was to the point where I saw the film three times that opening weekend.

Rating: 4 out of 5.

Follow BlazinBlue's Horror Review on Facebook and Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to My Nightmare: A Review of Dylan's New Nightmare

Hello all, it feels so good to be able to bring you a new review. A lot of things have happened during the hiatus. The biggest t...